Re: [microsound] free downloads, et. al.

We value objects. We value art, this should be a given. The "napsterization"
of audio media I don't believe is much of an issue for sound artists and
experimental musicians anyhow, because our approach to music is generally
that of an art/conceptual document rather than an economic transaction we
see with pop music.

personally i approach web/mp3 releases in a different way to recorded "hard"
media, but this is probably due to my uneasiness and forcing of a
distinction between the two areas. the coexistance of web-hard release is
being done particularly well by a number of new labels, and shows a positive
forward momentum that isn't addressed by the hysteria of mainstream media
(when is it ever?)

any argument that recorded hard media will die is beyond all doubt
preposterious, if anything a decline in such media will only strengthen what
remains. the 12" record never disappeared, it was reinvented as an artform
and subsumed. i.e. turntablism as a result of the proliferation of CD
media/marginalization of the record... a guerilla action. or if you like in
the context of microsound, the glitch as a response to hyperbole surrounding
advancments in consumer electronics.

as record stores catering to popular music shut their doors due to
inexpensive/high speed internet distribution, that which is underground will
rise to the top. in the end, the artist and those who really give a shit and
care about what they do will win out.

but then maybe i'm just being optimistic.

aut{audio.image.script}
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~destruct/aut
now:  My Things (www.tiln.org)