Re: [microsound] Future of Microsound: Disposable?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:37:11 -0800 Joseph Siemion <jsiemion@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

> does anyone get the sense that much of what is called 'microsound'
> music
> is disposable? a track is interesting to hear once, to experience
> the
> sounds, frequencies, god forbid, maybe emotions once, but then
> you don't desire really to hear it again.
I'm not sure what artist's music you're refering to, but I don't find the
music that I listen to in this genre, disposable. Music like Kim
Cascone's or Richard Chartier's can have something to be discovered with
each listen. In fact, I prefer to have music in my collection that I
don't get easily familier with, so that it stays somewhat "fresh" with
each listen. Part of the "disposable impression" could have to do with
attention span.
> sometimes because the
> frequencies disturb your ears or sometimes just because it does not
> move you enough to pop it into the cd player again.

Again, this could be an attention span issue. Perhaps you're more geared
toward listening to more melodic and/or tonal music.

> micosounders strike me as extraordinary consumers. we are mostly
> white males (id venture more so than any other genre!) and have some
> degree of affluence. we have enough disposable income to consume
> vast
> quantities of cds.
I would venture to say that heavy metal or prog rock is more white male
dominated than microsound. For me, buying cd's is one of my few luxuries
and/or habits. It has nothing to do with affluence.
>  i get the sense that the whole package
> of a
> cd
> or record is just as or maybe even more important than what it
> contains.
> that
> if artist x, whose cd is well received with the microsound
> community,
> were on
> a blank tape or just sitting out there in cyberspace on some server
> with
> no
> graphics attached to
> the file and/or no name behind it, it would not even be noticed. it
> may
> even be
> thought of as badly done with out the package.
>  hence, the importance of the packaging, vital importance.

Since I've been listening to this kind of music, I've been the least
interested that I've ever been with cover art. Although, it is a bonus
when a release has a fine cover. I've found that in the course of
releasing cd's over the years, the cover art or printing usually causes
the most headaches, so now I'm more inclined toward keeping things simple
as may be appropriate for each release.

Dale Lloyd - http://overheard.homestead.com/lloyd.html
DASL - Zen Tread - http://overheard.homestead.com/zenT.html

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!