Re: [microsound] microsound future correction

on 12/29/00 12:37 PM, Geoff Farina at geoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
well geoff, i totally respect your argument and your point of view on the
issue. perhaps you're right; i sincerely hope that you are. the only problem
i see with your argument is that we've never seen anything quite like what
is about to happen with these musical piracy sites. soon anyone will be able
to download anything in a truly accurate hi-fi format and that is what is
different. for example, if you could download for free any dvd in existence
in perfect quality at any time would you ever by or rent a dvd again? i sure
wouldn't; and while that would expose people to movies they had never seen
before it would also make it impossible to make money off those films unless
the downloads were associated with ad sponsors who would surely be picky
about what they would support. like yourself i have also supported myself by
selling independent music and by helping others make thier music happen(i am
a keyboard player/programmer and have worked with artists from MC 900 ft
Jesus to Seal) and i agree that so far the internet music piracy has helped
proliferate SOME independent labels and individual artists,however, when the
downloads are as good in sound quality as the actual product and thier is no
order links as in mp3.com, who in the world is going to waste thier money
buying the product from the label or the artist. small market and
independent artists will be the first to suffer. no, i don't think that this
will impact the industry for long as they have the money and the juice to
find ways to profit from thier products. they will somehow exploit it to
thier advantage. they will be able to protect the rights to their artists
material. indepent artists stand a large chance of having material straight
up stolen by other individuals or labels and used for other songs with out
proper credit given. many people whose music is being stolen by programs
like napster have no copyrights to thier material at all and,in fact, don't
even know the material has been posted at all. mp3 at least takes an artists
permission and pays royalties based on # of hits per track. this service
gives the kind of wide spread advertising you're talking about while also
keeping track of hits and how much money should be given. napster is a way
for napster to make money off ads and rip artists off in the process.