Re: max/msp for pc

Yes, Max and MSP really *are* going to be coming
for the Windows environment. In fact, I'm sorry it isn't
here right now and that I'm not fielding questions about
it. As our friend Vincent so ably points out, there are
all kinds of other tools of similar intention and with some
similar approaches out there in the Windows world
right now. Those of you seriously into the Linux world
may avail yourselves of jMax from IRCAM, and there's
always PD.

I should point out that things with the Max/MSP port
are a bit on the quiet side because there are new versions
of *both* Max (Max 4) and MSP (MSP 2) coming out,
which is occupying quite a lot of our time. These, in turn,
require an update to the Pluggo stuff. And there are some
um, surprises that I'm not really in a position to mention
at this point which we're quite absorbed with, as well.

Some things remain consistent, though:

1. You *should* see Max, MSP, and *then* Pluggo.
Since Pluggo needs both Max and MSP, that should
not surprise you. The interval between each step isn't
something I'm in a position to comment on right now.

2. The Windows port, with the exception of a few
OS-dependent things that we're not in a position to
change, will look and act as much like the Macintosh
version as is possible for us to do. In fact, getting the
Max4/MSP2 out first makes that a more straight-ahead
task.

If you'd like to take a quick look at what is now a
slightly outdated list of the new improvements for
Max4/MSP2 [we'll be updating that list for NAMM,
so expect it to change in a week or two. The list will
get longer, I think], you can aim your browser at:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/maxmsp_new.html

No small number of us will be at NAMM, and perhaps
we can um, show you some stuff, should you decide to
come by our booth. You might even see us doing
Windows....

gregory