Re: [microsound] |-| Re:eR [microsound] autechre/richard devine// techniques ]]

Greg wrote:

> > > Innovation/originality vs. emulation/ripping-off are terms of reference that
> > > really only work when applied to rock criticism. They have absolutely no
> > > place in the world of microsound or systems music.
> >
> > Really ? Then how come so much "microsound" sounds so samey ? You don't think
> there
> > are a bunch of key figures in microsound (Gunter, Ikeda, Oval, Farmers Manual,
> etc.)
> > which there's a lot of emulating of going on these days ? I'd call Oval systems
> music
> > and there sure is a lot of skipping cds stuff around these days.
>
> In whose view?

Well, in my view.

> Isn't this like saying that all indie-guitar bands sound the
> same? or all free-jazz groups sound the same. Prehaps they do. This is
> besides the point. For every album of skipping CDs, only Oval sounds like
> Oval... any attempt to mirror that sound thus fails, leading to a new
> mutation and soundtype. Super-splintering of genre occurs under such
> conditions and is a totally healthy and 'natural' development.

I don't know, if I hear someone that's not Oval doing skipping cds stuff I just think
"Next !".

My point was that I find what you said in the paragraph at the top of this post
absurd. What makes microsound or systems music different than any other genres ? Just
because sounds created with a computer are being used instead of guitars doesn't mean
that artists won't try to emulate other people's music. All artists have influences
and are susceptible to a little emulation.

> one of the reasons I love this music is that I have no idea what i'm about
> hear from whoever is producing it. predicatibility isn't an issue.

Personally I have to disagree. I have to say that for me microsound has become
predictable pretty quickly. I pretty much know what to expect from a lot of the
records I buy. There are a lot of commonly used elements throughout a lot of
"microsound" music.

> maybe a few people are suffering from the music journalist disease? it's
> like reading record reviews in the Wire. they're generally so damn
> depressing because the old guard of writers have become pretty jaded.

I'm in my 20's so I don't think I'm part of the old guard.

Andrei