Re: [microsound] |-| Re:eR [microsound] autechre/richard devine// techniques ]]

> I don't know, if I hear someone that's not Oval doing skipping cds stuff I
just think
> "Next !".

To be honest I haven't heard that many people actually doing the Oval/CD
skip thing. Those guys from Disc did it, but that sounded completely
different... far better in my opinion.

> My point was that I find what you said in the paragraph at the top of this
post
> absurd. What makes microsound or systems music different than any other
genres ? Just
> because sounds created with a computer are being used instead of guitars
doesn't mean
> that artists won't try to emulate other people's music. All artists have
influences
> and are susceptible to a little emulation.

Yes, but i'm saying that so-called emulation is vital. Any attempt at
originality is a pretension. Someone who goes out of their way to
deliberately sound like the music of another should be congratuated,
basically because it cannot be done. Thus mutation and progress occur.

> Personally I have to disagree. I have to say that for me microsound has
become
> predictable pretty quickly. I pretty much know what to expect from a lot
of the
> records I buy. There are a lot of commonly used elements throughout a lot
of
> "microsound" music.

What are those elements? Clicks? glitches? It's like discarding guitar-music
wholesale because someone happened to hit a chord. Of course there are
common elements, thats how we can actually bring some framework into what we
are doing. We don't have microsound with out micro sounds.

> > maybe a few people are suffering from the music journalist disease? it's
> > like reading record reviews in the Wire. they're generally so damn
> > depressing because the old guard of writers have become pretty jaded.
>
> I'm in my 20's so I don't think I'm part of the old guard.

Thats a worry.