g3 500 vs g4 500

Depends entirely on the software.
I have a G4 450 desktop and I've been using my girlfriends G3 466 iBook for
live situations. On programs that are optimized for the G4 (like the new
Peak, and others) chip its about 30-fo percent faster, but on non- optimized
stuff (like the current MSP) they ran about the same (the G3 466 was
actually a bit better).
    Find out about the soft ware your going to use (the new MSP will be
optimized for the G4 chip). . .

I'm trying to save up for the new PowerBook G4's as I use MSP very heavily
live and the new MSP is right around the corner. . .

bye bye - v.

np - the fan on my computer.