Re: [microsound] |-| Re:eR [microsound] autechre/richard devine// techniques ]]

> I agree, but...
> You have to be aware of what you are doing in relations to what others are
or
> have been doing.  This way:
> 1.  You don't replicate something that has already been done (if you
consider
> yourself an innovator)

I resigned myself to the fact that anything I do has probably been done
before by someone else.  And if it hasnt that just makes it that much harder
to get people to pay any attention to it anyway.  Innovation for its own
sake serves no purpose as far as I can tell.

> 2.  You can defend your point if someone accuses you of simply replicating
> someone else's idea.

most of the time someone accuses you of replicating someone elses sound they
are actually just revealing that they have a limited knowledge of the form
you're working in.  For example someone once told me my stuff reminded them
of Richard D. James.  I've never liked Richard D. James so on one level I
was disappointed however I realized that the person who said it really
wasn't aware of much more.  Richard D. James was one of the few
electronic-music reference points he knew, and my stuff sounded closest to
Richard D James than The Prodigy, or something..

I dont think theres any need to be worried about wether you are innovative
or wether anyone is accusing you of not being innovative.  If you're on the
right track your confidence will tell you that those things don't matter and
you'll easily cut thru the interference.  I think this might be what Dale
was suggesting with his 'resonated being' statement.