Re: [microsound] .tiln (and something completely different)

Hmm...it's been a while since I last contributed tangibly to this list,
although it's been providing a consistently interesting read. I had to
respond to this one, though, because it triggered an amusing anecdotal
rumor I heard about some of Lee "Scratch" Perry's more arcane production
techniques, including (surprise surprise) mic'ing a tree to give a dub
plate that special "natural" ambience, as well as blowing marijuana smoke
directly onto the tape, infusing the track with "herbal energy".
Sounds dope.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank the fellow who posted the
URL to Burroughs' "The Electronic Revolution," which, despite a few typos,
was an (at times) incredibly funny and very interesting read.

I'm interested by this "innovation/permutation/innovation" thread
triggered by teardrop's curiosity re: autechre's production techniques.
The drive to create something radical, new, and innovative seems to be a
particularly modern obsession (one which I happen to share and value).
Innovation/originality's stock has continued to rise. Did composers of
Renaissance polyphony, or African Tribal drummers, or South Americn
Shamans, or Indian Classical Musicans, (ad infinitum) obsess over
"originality"? Kind of brings Terrence Mckenna's philosophy of ever
increasing novelty to mind.

Finally, the (somewhat ridiculous, but still marginally interesting) "is
theory useful??" debate: this is a personality issue. Some people value
knowledge for its own sake, even disregarding utilitarian function (gasp).
In my experience, a working knowledge of music theory is more useful in
communicating ideas to other musicians than as a consideration in the
compositional process. For many of us, though, knowledge of acoustical
physics, electronics, computer skills, philosophy, film, etc, yield more
in the way of creative results.

Ciao

Ian Yeager