[microsound] my ex-girlfriend hates microsound

Jake Hardy <jake.hardy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have noticed also this lack of girl friends liking microsound, or >any other kind of wierd musics. My girlfriend likes to watch a lot >of this music when it's created live, but can't "get into it" to >listen to it around the house. She thinks a lot of this music is >interesting," and does appreciate it but one thing I don't think
I'll ever get her to like is noise or anything with abrasive bits. I >don't understand how she can listen to all that confining heavily >structured music all day...all that predictability gives me a >headache after a while.

I guess you can't have EVERYTHING in common.

I think it depends on who you know. I happen to have a couple female friends who quite like Oval, Microstoria, and Vladislav Delay (and forgive me if these aren't quite microsound-- I've only been on-list for about five days, and haven't quite figured out the aesthetic of the list). But generally, in any genre that almost requires one to be a musical obsessive to find out about it / appreciate it, there are bound to be more male fans/producers out there, as--for whatever reason--far more men than women tend to be manic musical-obsessive types. Not that I really know too many men into this sort of music, either.

As a parallel note: You know, I for one used to be a bit disturbed that longer-term girlfriends (who otherwise didn't make much concerted effort to personally, actively seek out new music) would walk away with personal subsets of my music collection, and have that be their "personal taste". Lately, though, I tend to appreciate it more when the people that I date/ am friends with have different interests from my own, musically or otherwise. It's not so good to be competitive with your significant other in the areas that most interest you-- causes all sorts of unnecessary tension when you otherwise could be mutually enriching different areas of each other's experience. As, for example, when she's willing to wade through the morass of contemporary painting and photography and can find artists whom I can very much appreciate--an otherwise daunting task for yours truly--or when she delves deep into areas of pop music that I wouldn't have looked into, regradless of whether these fit in with my most central personal aesthetic.

But for all those looking for a "microsound babe", hey... more power, really. Send me the pin-up calendar when you finish it. Seems like it might be a bit austere, but possibly charming if you think of it as intellectual kitsch.

Cheers,

M.

----- All water is classic water.