RLW

concerning:

RLW aka Ralf Wehowsky

a 5 CD box set is a bit intimidating for newcomers... but he's got a fantastic release on Table of the Elements (an otherwise yawn-inducing label, aside from the who's-who-of-noise-guitar 7-inches that came out a few years ago; TOTE repeatedly proves my theory that pristine packing can and will seduce even the most choosy of listeners [including me]).

The name of the RLW album escapes me, but it's a highly conceptual thingy: apparently he mailed some texts (paragraph-length lists, really) to his friends (all of them *heavies*, eg. david grubbs, b.gunter, jim o'rourke, etc) and requested a recording of the musicians reading the texts (aloud) in two forms:
1 straight laced, no funny stuff; and
2 offbeat, often w/ instrumental accompaniment

At which point RLW processes all hell out of the recordings. The album is derived PURELY from the source material of the *readings*. Amazing stuff! Like someone said before, it's sometimes quiet, sometimes noisy, and often both. GREAT album, especially when he dissolves the electronics into the *original recordings*. Hemispherical!!

and there's clouds on the album cover. looks like a regular Microsoft screen saver.

BOB

nr(eading): Ideology by david hawkes (fan-frickin-tastic!)