PROMO: Toshimaru Nakamura/Sachiko M-do

sorry for the promotional intrusion, and further apologies if you receive
more than one copy of this:

I'm proud to announce the release of the latest CD on my label:

Toshimaru Nakamura/Sachiko M-do (Erstwhile 013)

Toshimaru Nakamura and Sachiko M are two of the most prominent members of the
burgeoning onkyo movement. Onkyo, a Japanese word meaning "reverberation of
sound", places much more emphasis on sound texture than on musical structure,
distilling elements of techno, noise, and electronic music into a unique
hybrid.

Nakamura plays the "no-input mixing board", connecting the input of the board
to the output, then manipulating the resultant feedback. Since 1998, he's
been exploring the possibilities of his instrument in contexts ranging from
solo to collaborations with Taku Sugimoto, Keith Rowe, and the duo project
Repeat with drummer Jason Kahn. Nakamura is also a co-founder of The
Improvisation Meeting at Bar Aoyama, a monthly concert series in Tokyo, which
recently changed its name and location to Meeting At Off Site.

Sachiko M was a member of the seminal nineties band Ground Zero, led by her
frequent collaborator Otomo Yoshihide. Since Ground Zero ended in 1998, she
has developed a unique style utilizing a memory-free sampler, creating pure,
piercing sine waves with the device's built-in test tones and noise. Sachiko
has worked extensively as a solo artist, and in groups such as Filament,
I.S.O., and Hoahio. She also founded and runs the superb Amoebic label.

do is the second release from this duo, following 1998's un (meme). do
consists of three live improvisations, recorded in the summer of 2000 at
three separate concerts. The unique look of the artwork was created entirely
from the output of a no-input video mixer by NYC designer Chris Harvey. do
#1, the 37 minute centerpiece track, is a masterpiece of gradual progression,
inducing rolling waves inside your head, while constantly, infinitesimally,
inexorably creeping forward.

"Toshimaru Nakamura and Sachiko M minimize their music to a gorgeous maximum.
In its reduction to electronic signals, the music becomes very physical. Your
speakers become an instrument, and when you move your head or walk around,
your ears also become an instrument, you get involved, you can participate.
Another prominent aspect is how time seems to escape and how the listener can
escape into time simultanously. Not easy listening music for sure. Abstract
music? No, to me it seems very concrete."-Günter Müller

personnel:

Toshimaru Nakamura: no-input mixing board
Sachiko M: sampler with sine wave

track listing:

1. do #1-36:45
2. do #2-2:41
3. do #3-10:39

more info available at the following web sites, or contact Erstwhile Records
at ErstRecs@xxxxxxx:

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com
http://www.japanimprov.com/tnakamura/
http://www.japanimprov.com/sachikom/

all Erstwhile CDs can be purchased from numerous worldwide distributors, all
of which are listed on my web site. also, all Erstwhile releases can be
purchased via direct mail order, details of which are also on my web site.

future releases from Erstwhile will include:

015: Axel Dörner/Kevin Drumm
016: Stilluppsteypa/TV Pow-We Are Everyone In the Room
017: Cor Fuhler/Gert-Jan Prins
018: Keith Rowe/Toshimaru Nakamura
023: Polwechsel/Fennesz