Re: [microsound] Live Composition

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, a dontigny wrote:
> Fundamentally, the machines could be built by thousands of monkeys in
> a basement and it wouldn't change anything!

i don't think they'd be as good.  the monkey thing doesn't work because
even if we had enough monkeys to randomly generate something sizeable
(which would take more atoms than we have in the observable universe),
we'd just be tranforming our search space from one form to another.

> If a gifted musician is helped in his performance by the quality of
> the instruments he uses, of course part of the credit will go to the
> responsible artisans/programmers. But in the end, the musician can
> play the same thing on a less superior device and still produce
> equally interesting work.

actually i agree.  my points were:

a) programmers should be appreciated as craftspeople, rather than
   production line workers (although i haven't seen the steinberg office
   ;)
b) a computer should be viewed as a human environment rather than a mere
   tool.  this is more contentious...

but although my role as programmer is a major part of my role as musician,
really this was a sidetrack and probably not appropriate for discussion
here.  there is always the eu-gene generative art list for this kind of
chatter: http://www.generative.net

> My creativity is not limited to the systems I use; if there's a
> blackout I'm still a musician, when I'm walking home from work I can
> sing microsound (but you wouldn't want to hear that).

where's the mp3?  :)

alex

--
a member of the state51 conspiracy
tonight i'm gonna party like it's (time_t) 1E9