Re: [microsound] Performing "Live"

> ... as when you pluck a guitar string, you are only "telling" the guitar
> how to play itself.

it is a subtle difference so i understand why you miss it.

here's one way to explain it: there are a couple of factors at work in
producing the sound. we can say for the case of the guitar, there is the
preperation of the guitar, which has to do with tuning, constructing a
guitar, technological informational stuff and other general prep. then there
is the execution which is like an archer who has spent years practicing, at
that moment of letting go he's just going for the bullseye, and there's
something really spontaneous and magical and exciting, sometimes ecstatic
about it.

now in the case of, perhaps, playing a DAT -- the preperation is writing the
music and recording ot to DAT. the execution is limited in this case to
pressing the play button.

these two cases can be seen as _very_ different, no?

It DOES seem different, when you elaborate the way you do about how much it takes to 'prepare a guitar' and then you dismiss a DAT as 'writing the music'....

It's funny, cause alot of 'normal' musicians I know dismiss any kind of electronic performances as being completely automated, and they use the exact arguments that have been flung around here....