Re: [microsound] Performing "Live"

----- Original Message -----
From: "a dontigny" <a_dontigny@xxxxxxxxx>

> And that "moment of execution" can be as entertaining
> on a computer than on any "acoustic" device. There
> seems to be some kind of implied prejudice towards the
> type of instrument used and that is why there's so
> much animosity...

i'm writing from my experiences. of course my experiences are biased in a
certain way because my experiences are different from yours, no?

but ok, to respond--
first of all its not about whats entertaining to me, it was just a point
about the terminology "live" and what that implies for me, and i explained
my case as to what i consider live and what i don't, blah blah, boring
stuff. but next i ventured to argue not only that computers (specifically
laptops running playback or preset sequences) are less "live" than other
instruments (electronic or acoustic) that require "hands on" playing, but
also that they are much more limiting to the musician performing.

say for example that the band you are playing with is shuffling time between
6/8 and 4/4 spontaneously, how do you keep up with the computer?

or the bass & drums vamp on an infectious 3 over 4 feeling for a build, how
do you change your sequence to compliment this, and then change back at the
next bar? well, you could click on the "sequence" button, then click on the
number of steps and select 3, then program the note/velocity/"nuance" for
the 3 steps, then press play ... but by that time it is hardly spontaneous.
and even if it was spontaneous, it would only be spontaneous for the
millisecond that it takes to press the play button.

what i'm saying doesn't just apply to group scenarios, i just use that as an
example of when musical ideas are exchanged freely in a live setting. but
one can be just as spontaneous live, picking up on nuances of ones own
creation and responding to them, playing with them, etc.

computers don't even allow you to _acknowledge_ these type of things.

so my argument is this: live = spontaneous, less limited spontaneity = good,
the less limited the instrument and more spontaneous the performer, the
better the live set.
and this argument can also account for any stylistic limitations & lack of
proficiency on an instrument as limited spontaneity as well. in this case i
am just addressing the use of instrumentation but i will adapt this argument
should you wish to pursue it.

-jonah