Re: [microsound] contact mics

I dont know what kind of 'quality' you mean, the contact mics I use are
common piezo disc ones.  They are not sensitive to minute vibrations but
they are very sensitive to jostling and general abuse.  The fence/highway
senario is probably similar to wacking something the mic is attatched to, in
that case the vibrations of heavy cars moving quickly would be so strong and
sharp they would register on the contact mics just as if the fence were
being struck with a mallet.   But as for the electric shaver, perhaps the
routine was ment to pick up the jostling from the person's hand holding the
shaver while clipping the hair, again this would be very noisy.

-    -    --    -    --    -    -

the contact mics i'm using are all bought here in akihabara in tokyo. i'm not sure of the quality difference (compared to other mics overseas) as i've never used anything else.

I didn't intend to debate my stance
on the sensitivity of these kind
of mics, i just wanted to let you
know that these kind of mics have
such qualities.  i know
Tsunoda and his works well, as he
is a friend of mine and the vibrations
picked up by the fence between the
parking lot and the highway are nothing
like a 'mallet'. it is a very deep,
peculiarly soft vibration, but of course this
is strong enough to register.

if you ever come out this way,
i'll be happy to show you where
you can by them.