Re: [microsound] asmus

>Hiall
>
>I have just picked up a cd by Asmus Tietchens called
>DASEINSVERFEHLUNG...what does this mean...sorry my german is minimal

according to the book that was published late 1999, it means 'missing
existence'. on this CD, asmus uses reel-to-reel tapes which he pulls
manually along the tape heads and from that he creates new music, hence the
track title 'freiband' (=free tape). It's a very nice CD indeed. And it
inspired me to do the same with scracthing digital recordings on a digital
8 track for some of my new work, which I called Freiband (to honour asmus).
I finished a whole album, which was supposed to come on Ritornell, but that
hasn't happened yet. I heard Ritornell was to stop, because the packages
became too expensive, but recentely a new one was released, so I have good
hopes it will continue (and of course hoping my thing will be released).

back to Asmus: that book is very nice, but you need to be reading German
too, as not all is translated into english. I think Asmus is the most
underrated figure in 'our' biz. Hopefully it will chance when he starts
releasing his collaborative efforts with Thomas Koner (first CD soon!)

Frans de Waard