Re: [microsound] micropolitics

> So my broader question is, what are the possibilities for an
> "engaged"
> microsound?  Are there any qualities inherent in the medium (if it
> is a
> medium at all) which lends it to, or bars it from, political
> practice?  Is
> it a practice in itself?  Is a microsound CD or performance any more
> or less
> political than, say, Rage Against the Machine, and how might things
> be done
> differently?

great qustion.  ive pondered how or should i incorporate some sort
of message in making this music. i personally have issues with spending
so much time doing something which in and of itself is without meaning in
the sense of conveying a message of some sort. (message in the sense of,
have something to say, like Rage Against Machine...)

re: 'qualites inherent in the medium... that bar from from politcal
practice...'

my sense of m.sound is that it remains devoid of message and sign and
points
to nothing other than itself. and this is part of the appeal of it, that
there is no
message, as much music today to our ears sounds trite, i.e., 'why did you
leave me
alone', 'when my baby left me', 'oops i did again...'  m.sound shys away
from message
and remains completely up to the listener to decide what i 'means' if
anything at all.

id be interested to hear if anyone here successfully implements a
political agenda
in their m.sound compositions. i admire ultra red for combining these two
together.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.