Re: [microsound] micropolitics

--- Philip Sherburne <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So my broader question is, what are the possibilities for
> an "engaged"
> microsound?  Are there any qualities inherent in the
> medium (if it is a
> medium at all) which lends it to, or bars it from,
> political practice?  Is
> it a practice in itself?  Is a microsound CD or
> performance any more or less
> political than, say, Rage Against the Machine, and how
> might things be done
> differently?

The first major difficulty I see with an "engaged"
microsound (or any lyric-less music) is the extensive use
of words in the construction of an "official" political
thought. How do you fight a political rhetoric using only
wordless sounds? Not that a speechless music is not
efficient in creating social responses in the public (we
don't want to get in another old argument) but when a
different or "opposing" political force is using the
all-powerful WORD against you, how can you defend yourself
while remaining speechless?
Is the "context" of, for exemple, a cd (titles of the
tracks, cover, sources of sounds, credits, etc.) sufficient
in offering a "political key" to the analysis of wordless
sounds? Is Burroughs' electronic revolution enough for a
direct political battle?

=====
~ a dontigny

"le bruit est une ressource naturelle"