Re: [microsound] Re: Quality Control

> Personally, no amount of quality .mp3 material will ever replace the
> enjoyment of holding a lovingly-crafted 'object' in my hands.

I guess we are all in agreement

> <So real labels have a goal which is to make money, whereas virtual
> labels are more about the music, the art, the abstract.>

Well, in my case my goal is to fulfill my passion. Share it with as many
listeners as possible. And that the musicians who work with me be happy.
Obviously, you have to "make money" to repay your costs but it is not the
priority. You surely can think of much easier way to make money, don't you ?

> However poetic this might sound, I suspect you don't run your own label
> 'real' or 'virtual'. I've run Fallt for years and I've never made a penny,
> quite the opposite in fact. Every ounce of so-called profit is ploughed
> straight back into the next release 'virtual' or otherwise...

Exactly.

> the 24 CD invalidObject Series (which has, I'm
> sure you'll all be pleased to know, finally reached the pressing plant!).

Hooray !!! After downloading MP3s, getting the CDR from Massimo, Warmdesk, I
know this series is a MUST to order !!!

> <I see 'virtual' labels and 'real' labels as being pretty much the
> same with the exception that the 'virtual labels' don't have as large a
> monetary investment to deal with, nor as much profit to be made.>

I'd add the ethic side of a virtual label. Offering music free is great. I mean
if it is good music, Fals.ch could be the best at it. Monetary investment and
research of profit will depend on people's ambition.
philippe

http://www.bip-hop.com