Re: [microsound] review: new vinyls of note

I have to put my 2 cents in and say Downpour "destroy it yourself" is a really great album. Is this a Hood offshoot?
I wasn't aware of the Conoco Kemikoski release but I've been listening to Multila to go to sleep everynite for the past week so I will have to definetly go pick this one up.
Thanks for the info! I've only been on the list for a few days but I've already picked up some really great stuff because of it. Im happy but my bank account is a bit sad.

Eric

True Colour Of Blood (AtmosFEARic Soundscapes for Guitar)
http://www.mp3.com/tcob
DJ Drexel (Twisted Experimental Beats)
http://www.mp3.com/djdrexel

- conoco _kemikoski_ 12" (not sure about the exact title) (sigma editions) you guessed it, this is another of vladislav delay's multiple split personalities. the sound on this record is not particularly surprising at it stems from the aesthetic of _multila_ (chain reaction), only with a different palette (surprisingly enough after hearing _anima_). clear sounds in a murky design forming ambient threads, with clicky percussion on the 2nd track slowly morphing into something of a rhythm. i enjoy the change of palette even though the recipe is still pretty much the same. a little something from a great artist.

- downpour _destroy it yourself_ 12" (drop beat)
not microsound per se, but then it's not too easy to genrepeg downpour
to begin with.  drum n bass it is, but of the catharticated, loud &
twisted sort.  dangerous beats on side b with panicked vocals, followed
by a super fast one 20-second tune called "if you're a fast enough
mc..."  unlike his previous work, this 12" has also some gentler
moments.  one rare glimpse into downpour's work.

- stol 12" (kitty yo)
this one is a little old but i had to say a few words about it.  i'm not
too sure what is happening on this one.  there is stephan mathieu
(fellow listmember) playing drums on it, with another fellow (whose name
i forgot) playing guitar.  of course, you can guess that some of the
sounds are produced by these instruments, but i'm guessing there's a
certain degree of processing as well (otherwise, wow!)  regardless,
these 4 compositions (001, 010, 011 & 100 respectively) are very organic
to a point where their music has more to do with köln than say vienna.
sometimes the playing almost seems sloppy & that accounts for much of
the beauty of it; that these glitchy, inhuman sounds get thrown about in
every direction makes them very poetic.  side 1 is mostly ambient but
never repetitious.  side 2 is more entertaining, though, with a more
percussive edge & an even quirkier feel.  if anything, this made me
_very_ curious about stephan mathieu's subsequent work as full swing &
under his own name.

where will i strike again?  no record store is safe!!!

~ david