Re: [microsound] sampler vs. laptop....qu'est-ce que la differance?

At 01:24 AM 4/18/01 -0700, you wrote:

>> Are laptops and available software making samplers
>> elite?  Sorry I don't know more about this, but I'd be
Nope. I prefer hardware, i like having a mixer in front of me, although I
should get a computer because that tiny screen on most hardware samplers is
pretty hard on the eyes. That's not the end of the world for me though, I
tend to listen more than look. Clearly, getting a computer or laptop with
lots of software/shareware/freeware on it is less costly. You'll have a
huge palette of tones and textures at your disposal, rather than just a
couple of filters and oscillators and other software gizmos on the hardware
sampler. The big difference really between a computer and a sampler, is
that the computer should be thought of
as a complete workstation which can handle your multitrack sequencer, your
sampler, your editing mastering software, a bunch of software synths in one
unit, whereas the sampler is still just a sampler. I think though that
having a keyboard controller to play with your samples is still essential,
I don't think
they're gonna be obsolete. Who says a computer can emulate an old Ensoniq
Mirage!?