Re: [microsound] hecker

At 09:34 AM 4/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I think Richards comment about a digital forest is right on the mark, alot
>of people have said the same thing when I go out and dj stuff of this sort.
>Personally I respond to how the sounds interact with each other, and i find
>myself fascinated by the little evoling worlds or forests that seem to grow
>and change organically. Biosphere tends to have  this same effect for me. as
>well as pimmons work. I do think alot of people have a difficult time
>allowing themselves to enjoy this sort of thing, some of my friends with
>strong musical backgrounds cant get past the surface cause they are looking
>for musical concepts to navigate them through the peice, or they have to be
>satisfiyed that the track is musically dynamic, but this stuff really dosent
>use beats or melodies in such a straight forward manner, maybe its more
>about an obsession with sound and process.

It seems to me that most people don't like this kind of music because it's
stripped of it's human element. I definitely think of natural themes when
it comes to this sort of stuff. "digital forest" is a very nice
description. It's not a band playing, playing melodies, straight ahead
rhythms, songs, but it tends towards nature's unstructured evolution.
People really seem to get angry sometimes when they can't hear somebody
singing or playing an instrument,and for some the lack of such a human
presence makes some things fall immediately outside of music or musicmaker
and falls into the category of noise. In fact, I don't really believe
nature is unstructured, it's simply not structured in human terms. This
past weekend I visited my mother, and I brought along with me a Tascam
Dap-1 portable DAT recorder, and a couple of good condenser mics to record
the spring thawing of the snow flowing downhill in the woods behind our
home. I found a spot which had a few creeks forming, and I found the water
provided a totally natural loop, not one which was mechanistically created
by a sound editor or sampler, but a naturally generating structure of it's
own (which I think is what this type of music should strive for). Each
flowing creek in fact was unique and very detailed in it's acoustical
properties, and I collected the sounds of a bunch of different ones! So
yes, I am obsessed with sound and process, more so than with melody and
harmony. Every crackle perhaps is a branch rustling in the wind, a tree
falling in the forest with no human ears to experience it, or maybe we
shouldn't make such associations and leave these works as sounds existing
in sound and not sight. Hope I haven't confused too many people. Where can
I get that particular Hecker release?