Re: [microsound] completely OT yet so on-topic

Guillaume Grenier wrote:

> > For your information Romania produced some pretty influential figures in
> > the 20th century like Tristan Tzara, E.M. Cioran, Brancusi and Eugene
> > Ionescu. Bartok, Ligeti and Xenakis were also born there.
>
> Xenakis, Romanian? I'm pretty sure he's Greek...

Yeah, he was Greek, but he was born in Braila, Romania and lived there 'til he was
about 10.

> And... weren't/aren't Bartok and Ligeti Hungarians?

They were/are both Hungarians, but I was actually wrong about Bartok. The town he was
born in, Nagyszentmiklós, became a part of Romania after WWI. He did do a *lot* of
research on Romanian folk music and used Romanian folk music themes in his work.

Ligeti was born in Romania and attended the conservatory in Cluj, one of Romania's
bigger cities. Regardless, he considered himself very much Hungarian. There's a large
Hungarian minority in Romania. He also researched Romanian folk music (did a year of
field research) and used Romanian themes in his early works.

Andrei