Re: [microsound] OT: PC gear question

There aren't a lot of choices right now. (If someone came out with a
consumer-priced little MD recorder that had an optical-line out they'd
make a fortune, but they'd also be sued into the ground unfortunately.
I've heard that there's a little Japanese consumer MD model out that
records/plays audio and TV(!) - on a different sort of MD - and has a USB
connection...  although that may be one-way.) There are quite a few
professional minidisc _decks that have optical-out jacks but I've only
found two portable machines that do: the HHB and an older Marantz model
that uses ATRAC4 compression and while it could output without SCMS code
it did so only through a pro AES/EBU port. The HHB does implant SCMS code
through its optical inputs (but not via USB - yes, real-time streaming,
connection); you can strip the code with a CO3 box (sure is complicated,
for something that should be so open and forthright).

I didn't get outside to test my HHB yet but last night I was amazed
(perhaps more by the good Shure microphone), that it registered (in the
very relative quiet of the night here), the electrical sound of a lamp
whenever I pointed it in that direction.

/:b

On Wed, 16 May 2001, christiaan virant wrote:

> greetings. im a china-based techno producer and have been looking for a
> usb minidisc for sometime now...
>
> what i need is a minidisc with an optical OUT. many have digital ins but
> few have optical out... sony used to make digital out minidiscs for the
> asian market until the US copyright lobby got on their ass...
>
> what model did you purchase? and does the USB transfer run in real-time
> (74mins of audio take 74 mins to dump) or can i dump the disc contents
> to harddrive in a few seconds?
>
> sorry to bug you with these questions...
>
> cheers.

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project                >>>> since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://ftp.idiom.com/users/bbrace
+ + +     continuous       ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace

      News://alt.binaries.pictures.12hr ://a.b.p.fine-art.misc
  Reverse Solidus: http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
                   http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
           Mirror: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/

 { brad brace }   <<<< bbrace@xxxxxxxxxx >>>>  ~finger for pgp

Note: all "Teleport" addresses (web/ftp/email) are being eliminated:
no thanks to Earthlink scum. Please choose from listed alternates.