Re: Mutek

I liked Mutek alot, I had a really good time. That's all i'd like to say but I feel I'd like to go a deeper about Montreal's electronic "scene" (oh I hate that word, believe me). My first thought when I saw Mutek's lineup was "Gotta buy new dancing shoes!" which was, for me, a good thing.

My point is, I started "raving" in 1992 in Montreal's old port and some other infamous places. I used to go to dance and have alot of fun, electronic music was at that time, a sound that I couldn't hear much, that all my friends hated (because it's so oh easy to do) and also, it was a moment of immersion into a very different world than my day-to-day school/day routine.

I grew older, became demanding and got interested in all kind of sounds and music. Also got bored of the popularity of drugs and people in massive crowds getting into it (suddenly, all my friends were asking me about techno... hem!).

Now it seems that event like Mutek or MediaLounge are Montreal's underground momentum as almost no one know about it. Seems like all faces there are unknown, most of the people going are there for curiosity. That's all fine with me, I think it's fun!
I don't really mind if it's 4/4 because I'm not dancing anymore since there's no inviting places anymore. So for me, to have *quality* 4/4 isn't boring at all. I love experimental and Goem was surely one of my highlights, but woah, dancing on Process, Gustavo Llamas and Jonas Bering is something I deeply needed. Actually, the moment I danced the most at Mutek's first edition was on Komet's set... that was incredible!

So my point was, as Mongeau said, this year's edition was more about partying and less about intellectual mood. Both are fine, but I think Mongeau's choice wasn't bad at all. :)

Now, if my sources are right, we should get an harmony of both next year... that is, if Mutek still happens :)

JP