Re: [microsound] Re: Mutek

Hey Jean-Patrice,

Some one recently told me our music hits a very common ground, I am
courious I saw your cd for sale when I last visited Montreal is there any
place we can find it in Toronto some place and if not would you be willing
to trade a record or two of material. Im courious about the "other"
candian artist that sounds like this candian artist.
:)

Neil
aka naw

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Jean-Patrice Remillard wrote:

> I liked Mutek alot, I had a really good time. That's all i'd like to say but
> I feel I'd like to go a deeper about Montreal's electronic "scene" (oh I
> hate that word, believe me). My first thought when I saw Mutek's lineup was
> "Gotta buy new dancing shoes!" which was, for me, a good thing.
>
> My point is, I started "raving" in 1992 in Montreal's old port and some
> other infamous places. I used to go to dance and have alot of fun,
> electronic music was at that time, a sound that I couldn't hear much, that
> all my friends hated (because it's so oh easy to do) and also, it was a
> moment of immersion into a very different world than my day-to-day
> school/day routine.
>
> I grew older, became demanding and got interested in all kind of sounds and
> music. Also got bored of the popularity of drugs and people in massive
> crowds getting into it (suddenly, all my friends were asking me about
> techno... hem!).
>
> Now it seems that event like Mutek or MediaLounge are Montreal's underground
> momentum as almost no one know about it. Seems like all faces there are
> unknown, most of the people going are there for curiosity. That's all fine
> with me, I think it's fun!
> I don't really mind if it's 4/4 because I'm not dancing anymore since
> there's no inviting places anymore. So for me, to have *quality* 4/4 isn't
> boring at all. I love experimental and Goem was surely one of my highlights,
> but woah, dancing on Process, Gustavo Llamas and Jonas Bering is something I
> deeply needed. Actually, the moment I danced the most at Mutek's first
> edition was on Komet's set... that was incredible!
>
> So my point was, as Mongeau said, this year's edition was more about
> partying and less about intellectual mood. Both are fine, but I think
> Mongeau's choice wasn't bad at all. :)
>
> Now, if my sources are right, we should get an harmony of both next year...
> that is, if Mutek still happens :)
>
> JP

Neil Wiernik
neil@xxxxxxxxx