trans oo4: film, video, + updates

transmissions site  www.transmit.org
trans oo4 :: august 6-12, 2001 : : chicago,il

+  media support
+  trans oo4 film/video
+  ticket availability
+  rafael toral tour 2001

________________________
+ media support
________________________

transmissions is thrilled to mention the generous
support of the Wire [http://www.thewire.co.uk] and
Artbyte Magazine [ http://www.artbyte.com].

________________________
+ trans oo4 film/video
________________________

we're extremely excited to announce the trans oo4 screenings,
and many thanks to everyone who submitted work this year.
we've updated the site with artist/work related information and stills,
and information for the screening blocks is below -

>>monday, august 6th :: FEEDBACK AND OTHER SIGNALS : EARLY VIDEO
EXPERIMENTS OF THE 1970'S
CHOPIN THEATER : 7-11PM

At the infancy of video during the early 1970's, many artists, often
working outside of the commercial worlds of television and film, began
experimenting with the tools of video as means for new ways of image
making.  Hand built instruments, sampling, feedback and other tools were
used to, "Translate energy and time into waveforms, frequencies, voltages,
and finally into video and audio images." (<<Rewind, published by the VDB).
As well as documenting the relationship between these tools and the
audio and
video signals, many videos from this period are records of live performances
where the tool itself plays a role, dialoging with the central performer.

This programme, curated specially for the Transmissions Festival, features
seminal works from several of the foremost pioneers of experimental video.
  Included, Dan Sandin's Five Minute Romp on the IP, where the artist
demonstrates his hand built Image Processor; Richard Serra's Anxious
Automation, a performance by Joan Jonas that is manipulated by an effects
generator  in real time, with sound by Philip Glass;  Steina's Violin
Power, showing the artist playing violin while accompanied by the three
dimensional effects of an oscillator; and Joan Jonas's Vertical Roll,
where a masked female figure negotiates the rolling barrier of the screen.

Curated by Abina Manning and Blithe Riley.

This programme has been contributed by the Video Data Bank, one of the
United States leading distributors of video art.  http://www.vdb.org

>> tuesday :: BLOCK A : CHOPIN THEATER : 7PM -10PM

TST. 02  Bas van Koolwijk  4'55"  2000
TST. 02 and TST. 04 are two parts of a series of video compositions,
compiled of digitally re-modelled video disturbances, the soundtracks of
which are audio translations of the video signals. This allows filtering
and editing of the image material to have a similar impact on both the
audible as well as the visual outcome of these works.

PULSIVE Christina Vantzos and Chris Mackie  5'30"  2001
Pulsive is an investigation of sounds and image wherein movement is used
to describe an interior experience.  Both sound and image were created by
hand and brought into a computer to be manipulated digitally.  Designed
specifically for one another, the video and sound work on a frame by frame
basis, the basic unit of rhythm being the frame.  A limited vocabulary of
these units are constructed, arranged, and rearranged through an ordered
variation of changes.

OVER ABOVE  Art Jones  3'54"  2000
Over Above is about the physical and social distances through which
everyday horror is seen. Airplanes, buses, helicopters: these provide the
windows that filter our perceptions of early 21st century America, where
not-quite-seeing has become the dominant mode of vision. The visual
"effect" is two fold: The first, composited through a helicopter window,
is the beating of Thomas Jones by the Philadelphia police on July 12th,
2000.  The second is a view of a scene from a bus window. Music by Cibo
Matto.

4 VERTIGO Les LeVeque 4'00" 1999
In this work, Alfred Hitchcock's 128-minute film Vertigo has been
condensed at the rate of one frame every two seconds.  The condensed film
was then duplicated four times, shifting the horizontal or vertical
orientation of the frame with each duplication.  The four films were then
reassembled frame by frame, generating a stuttering kaleidoscopic montage
where oedipal narratives of desire and obsession are shifted and
displaced.

TWIN DECKS  Jennifer Reeder & Jon Leone  5'33"  2001
Two young white men lift weights in a basement.. These are the men you
want to become, the men you want to pummel and the men you want to ignore.
Equally, these are the men you want to date, the men you want to dump, and
the men you can?t ignore. Twin Decks is both a very simple montage
sequence and a quiet, but complicated question about desire, power and
gender, with sound by Biosphere.

echo/~sh0wables Claudia Westermann and Florian Hecker 11'50"  2000
[...] And suppose further that the prison had an echo which came from the
other side, would they not be sure to fancy when one of the passers-by
spoke that the voice which they heard came from the passing shadow ? - No
[...], he replied. [...] Plato, Republica, book VII

echo /~sh0wables is an experimental video composition - a dialog ? - a
question concerning the possibilities of communication and perception.

HOMESTEADERS  HalfLifers  16" 1999
A HalfLifers journey to a lush interior landscape, where some domestic
chores and an unexpected encounter provoke a crisis at mission control,
and pave the way for a seasonal reflection upon the meaning of "home".

SILVER SCREEN Thorsten Fleisch 5'00"  2000
This film was made entirely with foil paper, exploring its possibilities
in the realm of the audiovisual. For each frame a new foil paper landscape
was created changing the parameters of light and perspective. In order to
match the rapid flow of images several foil paper sounds have been
restructured and edited.

BACKBREAKERNECKBRACE [PERFORMANCE] :
" I found myself staring at this piece of board with a blue stripe painted
strip along one edge almost elegant, for wood.  Then it shifted, every
chip bristling at me as if it were the tree it was before woven each
fibrous filament grown splintered the space closed compressed between them
in sick plaid agony to make finer surface to pile on piles on. "
Backbreakerneckbrace is Dawn Bendick and Michael Haleta.

>> thursday, august 9th :: BLOCK B : CHOPIN THEATER :  7PM-9PM

TST. 04  Bas van Koolwijk  4'26"  2000
TST. 02 and TST. 04 are two parts of a series of video compositions,
compiled of digitally re-modelled video disturbances, the soundtracks of
which are audio translations of the video signals. This allows filtering
and editing of the image material to have a similar impact on both the
audible as well as the visual outcome of these works.

MANNERED  Kyle Harris and Gabriel Cyr 4'00" 2001
Issues of gender, romance, and digital obsolescence inhabit a textured
narrative inscribed within a short sequence of decaying VHS copy of Fritz
Lang's Metropolis, fragmented, replicated and scored with a soundtrack of
ruptured breakbeats and electronics.

VITE  Cesar Pesquera  4'10" 2000
An abstract road movie, a metaphor of processural phenomena, whether vital
or creative.

THE VISION ENGINE  Anthony Discenza  5'00"  1999
Blurred images, glowing like a foggy moon and reminiscent of early
television broadcasts, are rhythmically set to a pulsing and relentless
soundtrack.

UNTITLED Thomas Ankersmit  5'27"  2000
A video camera and a contact microphone were attached to a steel string
stretched across an empty hall approximately 65 feet in length. the
string's vibrations are transferred to the camera, thereby modulating the
recording of my actions.

FOUR POSES Blithe Riley 4'00" 2001
A digital video composition inspired by the idea of a statue representing
a specific time or event in history. In this piece, four torso-like images
taken from a live performance then altered through a series of analogue
and digital image processing tools, come to life, dance and interact.

APPLE GROWN IN WIND TUNNEL  Steven Matheson  26'00"  2000
This absurdist, microscopic film noir follows the activities of an
underground network of ill people, linked by illicit radio broadcasts,
toxic waste sites, the highway, and ultimately by the overwhelming desire
to find a cure.

NO SUNSHINE  Bjorn Melhus  6'15"  1999
A short story about new bodies, the power of denial and a state of no
sunshine.

________________________
+ ticket availability.
________________________

tickets are  available on-site, and directly through
http://www.skimo.com.  many thanks to s://kimo
for making it happen!

we are offering an all inclusive week-long pass
which includes seven nights of performances,
film/video screenings, and other festival events.

we strongly encourage (and very much appreciate)
early ticket purchases, as WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO
OFFER A LIMITED NUMBER OF FULL-PASSES AND TICKETS
to individual events due to varying venue capacities.
we have also been informed that hotel/motel accommodations
during the week of August 6-12th will be  VERY limited
as well due to an international housewares convention.

* so buy your tickets and make reservations early*

tickets for opening evening [august 6th: at chopin theater]
with performances by ben vida and carl stone will be available
shortly, but the following tickets are now currently on sale at ::

[netscape]     http://www.skimo.com/ie/nr/nrnet.html
[ie]           http://www.skimo.com/ie/nr/nrie.html

______________________________________
ALL PRICES _INCLUDE_ PROCESSING/HANDLING FEES
______________________________________

Transmissions oo4 August 6-12, Chicago, IL.
ADVANCE FULL WEEK PASSES : $80

Trans oo4 is offering an all-inclusive Full Festival Week-long Pass which
includes entry to all performances, film/video screenings, installations,
and related events.
______________

AUGUST 8TH: WEDNESDAY: $13.50
Location:: Hothouse, Chicago, Begins 8pm.

Spacious evening featuring performances by:: Helen Mirra [Chicago],
Steve Roden [Los Angeles], Michael Schumacher [New York].

______________

AUGUST 9TH: THURSDAY: $13.50
Location:: Subterranean, Chicago, Begins 9pm.

Live audio and video performances by : Janek Schaefer [London],
Vote Robot [Canada], Randall Jones [Seattle, WA],
+ DJs Kevin Drumm/Pita [Chicago/Austria].

______________

AUGUST 10TH: FRIDAY:  $16.50
Location :: Hothouse, Chicago, Begins 9pm.

Textured performances by: Loren Chasse [San Francisco],
Jason Kahn [Zurich], Richard Chartier [Washington, DC], Hecker
[Germany], Pita [Austria].

______________

AUGUST 11TH: SATURDAY: $28
Location :: RedNo5/5th Floor, Chicago, Begins 9pm.

Lengthy sets and collaborations  :: Sutekh [San Francisco],
Kit Clayton [San Francisco], Tujiko Noriko [Toyko, Japan], Dettinger
[Germany], Monolake [Germany].

______________

**please note: the events listed above are those
for which we are currently offering tickets; this is not a
comprehensive documentation of festival events.  please
refer to the schedule for a complete detailing of all related
festival programs**

________________________
+ rafael toral us tour 2001
________________________

in addition to other dates in the us/canada, and
as part of this year's festival pre-series,
rafael toral will be performing at

trans oo3.7 : : tonic
: 107 norfolk street, new york, ny : midnight show
.. rafael toral :: w/ special guests
www.rafaeltoral.net

trans oo3.7b : : 6odum
: 2116  w chicago ave.  chicago, il : 10pm
.. rafael toral ::  www.rafaeltoral.net
.. ian nagoski :: www.redroom.org/individuals/nagoski/
.. ian epps :: www.deadceo.com

thank you.