Re: [microsound] I-book, Powerbook or G4 Cube

"Bill Ashline" writes:
> list.  Assuming one to be a novice and pondering investing in one of the
> three computers above, is there a substantial difference between them?  I've
> looked at the new I-books and they seem about as compelling as a Powerbook
> and a lot cheaper.  Can anyone advise?  I'm vaguely fantasizing about trying
> to create some music, and of course the usual things one does with a

I would go with the iBook.  It's the best buy in the lot.  The
Powerbook G4 is a beautiful machine, but what you get over the iBook
(more powerful processor, larger screen, support for 2 monitors,
georgous case) isn't worth the extra price, unless you *need* one of
those features.

The iBook is plenty powerful (i run SuperCollider just fine on a G3
300 Tower and the iBook is much faster than that machine).  Make sure
you get some extra RAM for it.  Ram is so cheap now-a-days, there's no
reason to have less than 256 MB; and the more the better.

If you are considering a Cube, i'd wait a bit.  Macworld NY is happens
at the end of July.  The Cube has been end-of-lifed and its
replacement (rumored to be the new iMac) should be revealed then.

- sekhar

--
C. Ramakrishnan        cramakrishnan@xxxxxxx