Re: [microsound] computer wizards....

> its funny, the same sorta hostile reaction happened in the graphic design
> world when the mac was introduced back in the 80's.

I read the Eno article, I didn't sense any hostility coming from him.  I do
sense some hostility in postings on this list directed to him though.  If
the guy wants to state an opinion on computers, theres no need to freak out
just because it happens to be a negative opinion.  It seems like people are
so defensive over their little kingdoms that they can't bear to hear that
someone else doesn't hold the same kingdom in such high regard.  And
apparently it pains them even more if the critic is described as an expert
in such kingdoms..

Not only that, Eno specifically said that he still spends plenty of time in
the computer environment, just that at the moment he's finding that what
happens outside of the computer is just as important.  Such a benign
statement could only be construed as sacralige from compu-cultists anyway.
In fact, I'll bet that it wasn't Eno's statements about the computer that
got some peoples nose out of joint on this list, or even the 'Computer
wizard' embellishment placed on him by the author of the article, it was
what he said about how expressive guitars can be.  That statement brought
out the bias on this list.

> the fact is its a new tool, you can argue against it or for it, none the
> less its still here.

yeah but in the case of Eno he's simply expressing his opinion which is as
valid as anyone elses.  I think if he didn't hold such an exhalted position
in the mythology of electronic music that we might be more willing to accept
his opinion at face value.  He excersizes his will the same as anyone else.
What Eno does with his time does not validate or invalidate what you do with
your time.