Re: [microsound] analog|digital or digilog?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Ian Guthrie Yeager wrote:

> On another note, I've been thinking recently about how the 90s and
> 00s (aka the naughties) are so wierdly schizoid, in that it seems like
> there's a huge explosion in experimental form/techniques/musics
> accompanied by a wierd sentimentality that takes the form of an obsession
> with various things "retro." I mean, I notice this tendency in myself too.
> I'm 24 right now, and it seems like people in their 20s and 30s (probably
> a big chunk of us on this list) comprise the most sentimental generation
> in a long time.
>
> "Oooh, look, a scooby-doo lunch box on the mantle!"
> "Hey, let's watch this the Man tape!"
> "Wow, it's 'Safety Dance!'"
>
> Why is this?

Yeah, it's weird, I'm 28 and I've noticed that people who are only like 3
or 4 years younger seem to be into this 80's trash pop culture thing while
the friends I have in the same age group as me tend to be much less into
that stuff. Personally, I like to think of the 80's and 80's related
things as little as possible. I mean I find hair metal as interesting as
the next guy, but I won't start wearing Dokken T-shirts to show just how
sarcastic I can be.

Andrei