Re: [microsound] analog|digital or digilog?

This reminds me of a tape my roomate Nikolai got from this Swedish kid he
met in a French hostel. It was all like, Boyd Rice's version of "We had
Joy, We Had Fun" and this Swedish industrial musician named Lille Roger
doing this terrifying cover of Samantha Fox's "This is the Night."
Incredible. I think the rest of the tape was Anton Lavey's "Satan Takes a
Holiday" album or something....

I guess Pita Rehberg, Jim O'Rourke and Christian Fennesz are playing with
this impulse by using Madonna as sound source for laptop
destruction....hmm. Personally, I've never been able to fully reconcile my
interest in pop music and my obsession with extremes of experimentation
and exploration. Or any other genre interests, for that matter. Organic
synthesis of "influences" can be quite an undertaking, probably the sort
of thing best allowed to run it's course, since it seems to happen by
itself over time.

Sometimes I envy people who have a monolithic and unified aesthetic that
they can easily pin down and identify. I'm only now beginning to develop
that for myself....sometimes it's a situation where one is too close to
the issues at hand to really identify them clearly, but I feel like I'm
slowly getting a handle on some of these "issues" and "problems."

Sometimes I think I should stop listening to other music altogether and
try to estaqblish some pristine isolation for myself....my curiosity
always kicks that foolish notion square in the ass, though. Ultimately,
what seem like musical problems are really nothing more than self-identity
asserting itself. Learning to listen very carefully to exactly what in art
resonates psychologically and why....

Sorry for being so discursive and ramblin', I hope someone out there knows
what I'm talkin' about.

np- Rupert Holmes "Pina Colada"