Re: [microsound] retro-isms

Yeah, it's weird, I'm 28 and I've noticed that people who are only like 3 or 4 years younger seem to be into this 80's trash pop culture thing while the friends I have in the same age group as me tend to be much less into that stuff. Personally, I like to think of the 80's and 80's related things as little as possible. I mean I find hair metal as interesting as the next guy, but I won't start wearing Dokken T-shirts to show just how sarcastic I can be.

ok here is my blabbering... i am sick right now so bare with me...

the most endeared to a period of music for its "retro-ness" especially with a fervor do tend to be those who found out about it a little too late, just having missed it. for example people in their early to mid twenties that are not sentimentalizing as might someone who experienced it as it exploded the first time... so its a different perception. less about memeory more about collective symbols that make up an era..

for example...think about this
saddleshoes/poodle skirts for girls are associated with the 1950s in the US. but in fact (when chatting with my mother one day, she said) saddlesshoes were actually popular in the 40s and poddle skirts were in for one fall season in the late 50s... so here is a decade that often gets denoted by something that really had little to do with it.

BUT....
i must say at the same time this coming from someone who just turned 30. (and who always wished he was born 3-4 years earlier) and who does a periodic night called "proto:synthesis77-83" ... some very important things were happening past the funny hair and parachute pants/new romantics that most remember

eeek.
richard

--
 +                +   r  i  c  h  a  r  d    c  h  a  r  t  i  e  r

http://www.3particles.com
chartier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONORARY MENTION in DIGITAL MUSIC (PRIX ARS ELECTRONICA 2001) http://prixars.aec.at/2001/prix.asp for series [LINE, usa] CD http://www.12k.com

OUT NOW
decisive forms [trente oiseaux, germany] CD http://www.trenteoiseaux.com
3 compositions on chronologi: 12k year 1 - year 4  [instinct records, usa ] 2CD
"filer" on clicks & cuts 2 comp [mille plateaux, germany] 2CD
"010101" on between two points  comp [12k/LINE, usa] 2CD http://www.12k.com

OUT SOON
typeof [fallt, ireland] 3" CD, june 2001  http://www.fallt.com
Layeral Intersect #2: psuedosphere  [deadtech/anechoic, usa] CD, june 2001

EVENT . FILLER @ blue room [washington, dc] sundays http://www.3particles.com/filler
LIVE @ TRANSMISSIONS 004 Festival, Chicago, august 10, 2001 http://transmit.org