RE: [microsound] retro-isms

> i must say at the same time this coming from someone who just turned
> 30. (and who always wished he was born 3-4 years earlier)

somewhat off-topic, but also somewhat related, i've believed for a long time
that punk rock created an incredible anxiety in those born too late to
experience its first wave, because it placed such and incredible burden on
*authenticity.* if you didn't see the pistols or the ramones in '77, or if
you didn't see black flag in '82, well, you were obviously a poseur. and i
think that instilled in many people of richard's & my generation (i'm 30 as
well) a tremendous need to play catch-up...

probably directly relevant to me getting into music writing, because i spent
most of my teenage years sitting in my bedroom, poring over liner notes, as
a kind of secondhand participation...

just a thought, but it's stuck with me. also one thing i love about
electronic music (aka dance music?), is that there doesn't seem to be this
emphasis on old skoolness.

cheers
philip