RE: [microsound] confield

> And why is it such a bad thing to recognize recording devices or sounds in
> someone else's music?  Are the utilities not mere "instruments"
> used to make
> this music?  Are they not the electronic equivalent of a harpsichord,
> theremin, or guitar?  Even if they are more the fuzzbox than the guitar, I
> believe it is what one is able to do with the tools that makes the music
> memorable.
>
> vmd

I don't think the utilities *are* instruments(usually).  As I've mentioned
on this newsgroup before, I believe that they're more akin to filters in
Photoshop.  Often times these tools are more like the fuzzbox or delay pedal
a guitarist uses.  Sure using a default patch can be interesting, especially
if you're doing something with it that is more than is expected from the
patch itself.  If the patch just granulates and randomizes a drum sample,
and you just plug in a drum sample, you're not even doing anything.  It's
the equivalent of hitting a drum through a delay and going "That's cool.
Heheh."  Now, using twelve delays and feeding them back between one another,
that's something creative and clever, and will certainly produce sounds you
didn't expect.  But then there's a level of creative invention there, a
little know-how, throw in some sort of decision-making and you may have
something worth listening to. You don't pat someone one the back for
pressing a key and using a default patch, you usually commend them for
either (1) being able to really play that patch like no one else (or guitar,
or piano, or whatever), expressiveness, really or (2) creating patches or
layering sounds in such a way that hasn't been done before.  I personally
expect virtuosity on some sort of level, be that in programming or in
playing.

I _don't_ want to listen to a piece of music and think about what effect or
patch is being used; the sound itself should somehow be above all that.
There hasn't been that much more to offer in the past year or two regarding
software either.  Max/MSP and Reaktor have been around for awhile, many
people have access to VST and DirectX plugins, tools like ACID, Sonar, Buzz,
etc., and the computers to power this stuff.  Granular synthesis isn't
really new anymore, either.  So, either you become proficient at programming
or patching and really create something unique that way or play an
instrument really, really well.  There's never really another option but
hard work, even if it's just about creating good press ;).  Perhaps audio is
now suffering from a bit of "Star Wars" fever at this point, all wrapped up
in special effects and having difficulty saying anything really interesting.
The medium may be the message, but it isn't the only message...

Christopher Sorg
Multimedia Artist/Instructor
csorg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://csorg.cjb.net