re: [microsound] autechre

'pen expers' really grabbed me the first time i heard it. I was reading and wasn't giving the album any active thought when I noticed there is this subdued, almost hidden melody that is sort of drowning in the chop. i guess what makes this track sound so nice to me is the "almost" in "almost hidden." very smart (subconsciously at least) on autechre's part. kid606 did something similar recently at the kelp&circuits anticon soundclash in oakland, except with a new order sample in the water. the song was very similar in quality, but it had a lifejacket on. mind you, it was a pretty cracked-out jacket with a couple lead weights attached, but the result still wasn't as subtle as autechre's piece. i just put 'pen expers' on as i was typing the first sentence. In the time it took me to write this and switch windows to spikereport.com to find out the source of that nice birdsongcell story, I've been reconvinced that this is my favorite song by the adults in autechre.

ps. any info on the aforementioned kid606 song as a formal release would be sincerely appreciated