[microsound] ekkehard ehlers

Ekkehard Ehlers (can anyone tell me about his other work?)

ehlers' work is quite varied but revolves mostly upon reappropriation of samples in a postmodern way. a favorite is still autopoieses' _la vie à noir_ (mille plateaux) which he did in collaboration with (??? can't remember his name, he is "random inc." on ritornell, sebastian messner is that it?). the concept is "black" music, in every sense of the term, so it mixes jazz, noir film music, & old music (including tape hiss & some sweet DSP tricks) for 40+ short tracks most of which sound great! autopoieses has 2 other albums which are somehow related to this one ("live à noir" on ritornell & a remix album, i think?)

it took me a lot longer to get into ehlers' solo album _betrieb_ (mille plateaux also) despite its enlightening liner notes. _betrieb_ takes its material from "turn-of-the-century compositions, especially by arnold schönberg & charles ives." sometimes the classical instrumentation is quite obvious (& often quite poignant) while the rest is much more scrambled than anything on _la vie à noir_. this has turned me off for a while but one day i really got into it & i must say it's quite a strong CD overall, but one which requires some dedication from the listener.

to complete this tour d'horizon, there's always auch's _kiss tomorrow goodbye_ (force inc.) which to me is the weakest ehlers CD... well, it's some very good minimal house/techno (& i suspect it was made using other house/techno samples) but sometimes it gets uninteresting. the first few tracks however are worth a listen. there is an auch remix CD also which i haven't bothered checking it out.

gotta run.  hope this helps.

~ david