vain attempt to kill: [microsound] labels

he only good thing on that list are the posts by jeremy tolsma who i
believe is being filtered out by the other list members. oh dear.

sure mr. rehberg, if you don't like the building you're likely to prefer the demolition crew.

as for everybody else...

is it such a surprise that mego would reject most of the demos they receive? they've only released a handful in the past years. (& as they say, "if you had done your homework you would know that.") more generally, is it a surprise that small labels in general are not very PR-oriented? is it even a problem? would they accept anymore demos if they had better PR?

most artists have worked years before getting a recording contract. tell me, why should you expect that your run-of-the-mill granular synthesis workout exercise will cause someone to go out of their way, invest money on you, your CD, your distribution, your promotion & marketing, only to find that nobody is interested to buy yet another $20 CD of the same old thing?

from what i've come to witness i can tell you that artists very rarely come "out of the blue". they usually have accumulated years of musical experience (& sometimes school) & spent oodles of money on equipment & self-promotion before they even cash their first cheque.

if your problem is that you just want your music out no matter how, then why don't you consider releasing it yourself? after all, since we're talking about mego, you should know (if you've done your homework!!!) that this is just what peter rehberg & ramon bauer did. their label exists mainly as an outlet to them, & they will sometimes release stuff by other people they like.

there are so many costs involved in the production of these records (even though most of those costs are strictly the effect of corporate control over CD production), accepting a demo is somewhat like hiring an employee. the last time i sent resumés randomly, i got about 2 replies for 100 emails. logically we can't expect more from record labels.

another solution to get your music out is MP3 (or OGG). that's what these formats exist for. & when ever you find out that your mp3 page gets only a few hits on a good day (as it usually happens), maybe that'll give you a glimpse of what a record label person would have to go through to sell your record?

but who am i to speak, enough of me babbling, let's now go back to our back-to-school special...

~ david

PS: one more month of this & i think i'll start my own mailing list instead.