Re: [microsound] contact mics

stephen

i bought one a few years ago at radio shack for 5 bucks (canadian). it is a tiny suction cupped mike that acts as a pickup.

i use the little bugger on almost every song by recording the sounds on minidisc.

i used to work at a tv station and i collected sounds after hours from different sources such as timecode displays on betacam decks etc etc.

contact me off list for more details, admittedly i skim through and erase more than i read cuz of time constraints.

good luck

[sic]
______________________________
mp3s
http://groovylab.com/sundays/index005.html
http://groovylab.com/sundays/index008.html

all this talk about contact mics has piqued my interest.
what exactly is a contact mic?
how is it different from other microphones?

the radio shack cardiod mic $19 joint definitely has its limitations :).
but, then again so does my wallet.

what's the least i should be looking to spend?  could i build it myself
for cheap?

thanks for any help,
stephen