Stockhausen and his reality ?

Greetings,

I just received this mail, maybe some of you have, too. Pardon my duplication of it.

This quote from Herr Stockhausen truly places him in the pantheon of dead German fascists (In my opinion). I have studied his work for many years and almost see his point of view, but his dramatic (Wagnerian) disregard is questionable. His work at times was iconoclastic, but there always was an underlying political ubermechen (Zarathustra) point of view that left me curious.

He has answered my question 10 fold.

Hello,
maybe this is of interest for you:
All Stockhausen-Concerts in Hamburg planned for this week have been postponed by the organizers immediately. The reason is a remark the composer made today on his press conference, referring to the attack on the World Trade Center. According to the German news agency dpa Stockhausen said (my translation):

"What had happened there, is - now you have to convert your brain - the greatest artwork, which has ever existed. That human minds can fullfil something in one act, what we couldn't dream of in music, that people are rehearsing like mad during ten years, completely fanatic, for one concert and then die, that is the greatest artwork which has ever been existing for the whole cosmos. I couldn't do that. We as composers are nothing against that."

The original (in German) under:
http://de.news.yahoo.com/010918/3/1yzvm.html
http://de.news.yahoo.com/010918/3/1z0in.html

According to dpa Stockhausen excused himself for these sentences already during the press conference and asked the journalists not to publish them. However, the main sponsor of the concerts, the ZEIT-foundation, postponed the events. This decision was supported by the Hamburg Senator of Culture Christina Weiss, who marked Stockhausen's sentences as "cynic and amoral".
Greetings
Sabine Breitsameter

plate lunch music --> http://platelunchmusic.com tiln - digital diffusion --> http://tiln.net & http://tiln.org marc mcnulty --> http://marcmcnulty.org io-records --> http://io-records.com