RE: [microsound] Stockhausen and his reality ?

You jumped the gun, Marc.  Go see his website.

Rudy

-----Original Message-----
From: marc_mcnulty [mailto:mmcnulty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 3:44 PM
To: microsound; lowercase-sound@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [microsound] Stockhausen and his reality ?

Greetings,

I just received this mail, maybe some of you have, too.  Pardon my
duplication of it.

This quote from Herr Stockhausen truly places him in the pantheon of dead
German fascists (In my opinion).  I have studied his work for many years
and almost see his point of view, but his dramatic  (Wagnerian) disregard
is questionable.  His work at times was iconoclastic, but there always was
an underlying political ubermechen (Zarathustra) point of view that left me
curious.

He has answered my question 10 fold.

Hello,
maybe this is of interest for you:
All Stockhausen-Concerts in Hamburg planned for this week have been
postponed by the organizers immediately. The reason is a remark the
composer made today on his press conference, referring to the attack on the
World Trade Center. According to the German news agency dpa Stockhausen
said (my translation):

"What had happened there, is - now you have to convert your brain - the
greatest artwork, which has ever existed. That human minds can fullfil
something in one act, what we couldn't dream of in music, that people are
rehearsing like mad during ten years, completely fanatic, for one concert
and then die, that is the greatest artwork which has ever been existing for
the whole cosmos. I couldn't do that. We as composers are nothing against
that."

The original (in German) under:
http://de.news.yahoo.com/010918/3/1yzvm.html
http://de.news.yahoo.com/010918/3/1z0in.html

According to dpa Stockhausen excused himself for these sentences already
during the press conference and asked the journalists not to publish them.
However, the main sponsor of the concerts, the ZEIT-foundation, postponed
the events. This decision was supported by the Hamburg Senator of Culture
Christina Weiss, who marked Stockhausen's sentences as "cynic and amoral".
Greetings
Sabine Breitsameter

plate lunch music --> http://platelunchmusic.com
tiln - digital diffusion --> http://tiln.net & http://tiln.org