Re: [microsound] Bollox

--- a listener <a_listener23@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems very very weird for people on the
> 'microsound' list to dis
> 'microsound' - - > Are you here out of a past
> interest or just out of
> curiosity?

it doesn't seem odd for the voting public to criticize
the government that they elected, does it? a poor
example, perhaps, but it's all i can really think of
whilst this stoned and/or tired.
and as i previously stated, the only reason i joined
this list was because i thought the name--
microsound--
had a very peculiar allure to it...  as i soon
discovered, i listen to a lot of music which would be
called microsound and so was delighted to have found
this list... buuuut... and i didn't mean to suggest
that i don't like microsound at all, i just mean that
i'm a bit sceptical of the more academic aspects of
it.
to me, academia is an institution which prevents the
spread of useful information to a wide audience by
keeping it packaged up and hidden in pedantic tongues,
but that's only partially related to this, i guess...
my issue is that there is a serious lack of content in
MOST music, but since this is a microsound list, and
microsound is meant to have a lot of innovative
affiliations, i don't think it's overly ambitious to
expect to have music that rises above the normal 90%
garbage 7% not so garbage-ish 3% beautifully lovelily
wonderfully effervescently transcendent MUSIC-ish
scheme...  i'm rambling. sorry. just pissed off that
i want to listen to something and i can't find
anything
in my collection, really.

> I have to say that the Massimo (invalid object) 3"
> is great... very
> emotional and at the same time its that white
> operating room with no people
> in side...metal but rusty...

emotion :)  that's what i'm looking for. and i don't
think you need to have a melody to have emotion, you
just need to be able to put the things you're feeling
into the music you're making.

> And the Russell Haswell on mego.

i LOVE this album.

> And maybe you listen to micro sound because it is
> like an ambient that you
> are meant to listen to... but it can also be a heavy
> metal that actually has
> depth...

i have a lot of the same issues with a lot of ambient
music... obviously people have differing opinions...
which is what makes this a wonderful situation where
someone says something and not everyone replies
saying,
"yes, you're right"... instead, you get the much more
interesting, "what the fuck?! you're insane, kim
cascone is a genius, man!"  and that's fine... i've
only heard a few kim cascone songs, maybe it will dawn
on me later.  the mere fact that i know other people
like him is enough to make me want to give him a
chance.

> Perhaps you like 90% of religious spiritual hogwash
> music, but I find a lot
> of that stuff to be complete crap.

i think there's two problems here, one is that you're
assuming i like 90% of spiritual music... i don't
think
i like 90% of any kind of music...  the second is that
i get the sense that you disqualify spiritual music
from being any good sheerly because it's religious in
nature... it's still music, give it a try... as robert
wyatt said, "there is not a man in the world i could
disagree with more than john taverner on a purely
philosophical basis; but, i can empathize with his
music completely."  if i'm wrong in assuming that's
you're reasoning, then i appologize a thousand times
:)

> Hmmm, ok... ignore what you find 'boring' but sense
> you are on this list...
> listen to what you don't find boring... (I, for one,
> find Thomas Jeku(?) to
> be dull as shit)

all i've heard is 'immaterial' and the clicks & cuts
stuff.  but i enjoyed it. c'est la vie.
.... tomas jirku, btw...

with love,
gregory