RE: [microsound] OK, I know said I wasn't going to answer but...

> >merely that
> >praising (one could call Kim's articles such) and taking part in such an
> >aesthetic, then denouncing it for its materialism reeks of an ingenuine
> >attitude and hypocritical rhetoric.
>
> perhaps you could read my post again and tell me exactly where I denounce
> microsound as being materialistic?
> __________________________
> kim.cascone

I hadn't quoted you on that one, I was merely extrapolating from your post.
So you are saying that microsound itself isn't developing from consumer
practices, or that the posters on the microsound list are materialistic?  Or
were you just speaking of (presumably) the populace of the United States in
general?

How does this comment:
>...coming back to the US after being out of the country is always an
>eye-opener...road rage, complacency and materialism are prevelent
>everywhere...

connect to this one:
>over the last couple of years the microsound list has degenerated into
>little more than a trainspotting fan-boy list that has little to do with
>what the founders intended: to develop philosophical dialog about (post)
>digital/glitch/microsound/etc music...

Presumably, either microsound list members are complacent materialists, who
are basically gear-whores or a more gentle read would be that microsound is
a consumer-fed practice and we really need to reexamine ourselves and our
philosophy towards sound.  I can't tell by your post exactly what the
problem is, U.S. values or microsound membership, and it's hard to tell if
they're separate (80% or so of the list originates from the U.S.?).  If they
are the same, then what does that say about microsound as a practice and an
interest?

Christopher Sorg
Multimedia Artist/Instructor
http://www.enteract.com/~csorg