Re: [micro$$$$$$$$$ound]

--- Neil Wiernik <neil@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I get insane requests for gurreentees of hundreds of
> dollars in USD of
> course (even when they are from germany or some
> other place), requests for
> first class flights, delux hotel rooms, ect ect...

this is very disappointing to hear for a few reasons.
one, which perhaps was a very naive mistake on my
behalf, is that i assumed that somehow the digital
arts were a little progressive (ideologically
speaking)
to at least the extent that we understand that these
sorts of things (silly posh spoiled requests) are not
essential...  secondly, it is sad to think that more
performers are not willing to spread the gospel of
their music purely because it is an honor to have the
opportunity to communicate that way...  as a computer
musician myself, i've played many shows without
expecting compensation, and accepted a residency at a
club for free, not because i think the exposure is an
incredible opportunity (though, if luck plays itself
out, i suppose that can happen too), but because i
hope
that someone who just happens to wander in that night
not knowing what to expect can hopefully enjoy what my
music has to say.  i'll be playing my first show far
away from my home later this month, and i'll be doing
it at a loss, but it's exciting to know that people in
some far off place, who would never make it to this
club, or never even know my music existed can still
hear it... which is not to imply that i think that my
music is some amazing profound thing that must be
heard
by all, but it is the way which i can express myself
and communicate with others in my own language, and i
love that i can do that.  i hope that if things do
take
off for me at some point, i don't get that bloated
sense of self worth that seems to come with attention
or adulation.  i can safely say though, that even if
i do end up amounting to nothing monetarily (which is
to say, if i keep at these curse'd retail jobs
forever)
i will continue to make music, at a loss, or breaking
even, or at whatever profit i can manage, purely
because i must do it...
naively,
gregory

=====