Re: [microsound] new reviews...two cents

After reading your review of the Mutek compilation, as well as that of the
Senking disc on Raster Noton, and the component compilation, I notice that
several of your reviewers complain regularly about repetitiveness and
"cilcks and cuts".

As far as I can tell, the purpose of a music review is to provide a critical
analysis of the work that will effectively describe the contents to both
those persons well aware of a genres reoccuring themes, and also those who
have know idea what to expect . To put it bluntly, you are helping to sell
discs.

I cannot help but feel that perhaps some of your reviewers should spend a
little more time listening to the works before putting pen to paper, or
fingers to keys as the case maybe.

I quite regularly find myself frustratedly standing in the local record shop
thinking "it's all the same damn formula", but , without fail, end up
kicking myself for not picking up a disc when I hear it a few days later at
a friend's house and relize that I initially missed the point.

I don't think we're going to push the genre any further by tearing down the
latest buzz words associated with it, and waiting for the next flavour of
the month to arrive. But maybe that's just part of the cycle...

If so, bring on the the micro-tech-glitch-booty-hop-trance-core, I'm all
over it...