Re: oval armani and "the man"

mmmmmmmmm's,

so, i was sitting with my girlfriend's parents in a tiny little dutch town populated mostly by factories and sheep, having a little holiday nip, when i heard a very familiar sound from the telly behind me. sounded like markus popp! sure enough, one of the tracks from oval's "systemisch" has been plugged into an armani advert. some kind of 'hyper-stylized black-and-blue slo-mo camera movement over the models wearing the expensive threads' kind of number. i don't bring this up to trainspot on old herr popp, but rather to remind all of us that no matter how far over the bleeding edge we think we are going, it is never too long before it can be commodified as 'music for the masses'.

the main thing to understand with all of this is that it is not a big "cultural absorbtion" or natural process or such when this initially happens, meaning when it gets in the commercial. thesse things are put together by sound designers, which im sure some of you guys are, and they try to put in music they like. 90% of the time the client doens;t want it, frakly, clients are idiots, but occasionally it does (flying saucer attack, stereolab, apples in stereo, sam prekop, oval, etc.. come to mind) and there you are.. same thing when you see a mondrian print on a dress in k-mart. rememebr most designers went to art school, and endd up getting jobs..
"it's all good" as queen latifah would say, but it's just not the mechanism of fate turning, it's really just a job...