Re: [microsound] gear questions: unfortunate newbie pandering

> sequencers:
> in my quest to escape the mouse, i've looked into
attaching external
> sequencers to a computer, partly for the big rubber buttons,
> and partly for
> the extra CPU power i get if i don't have something like cubase
> or logic
> running in the background.

for low-cpu-usage sequencer (on a Mac) check MIDIGraphy (shareware).
 It's great.

> software:
> i'm not into mac, so i can't tackle this one. if you had a PC, a
> few things
> come to mind (Audiomulch, PD/GEM...) but you have that
covered with
> soundhack and max/msp, i gather. this is something for
> you, though....

actually soundhack is very different from audiomulch.  Great
app, nevertheless.

> midi
> ox or hubi's loopback: allows midi apps to talk to each other
> inside your
> machine. if you don't want to use an external sequencer, this
> can get MAX
> and cubase shaking hands. these are PC programs, but maybe
there is
> something like this for a MAC, too. (maybe MACs are so godlike
> that they
> don't need this kind of app. in which case, suggestion
> is retracted...)

Macs are so godlike.  Every OMS compatible app uses what's
called IAC Bus (InterApplication Communication Bus).  If you
use FreeMIDI you can use IAC in OMS emulation mode (I think...)
and if you use OpenMIDI, they have a different way of
communicating with the other apps (they also have OMS emulation,
I think so IAC will work).  IF you use Max, you can build your
own sequencer within and make it do exactly what you want.  No
need to use external apps.  Depends on the
situation/context/skill, though.

If you've got OSX (I assume you do) I would start getting into
it, learning the system, installing compilers and stuff
because there are tons of unix apps that are great for electro
type of thing.  You will save some cash but often the learning
curve is a bit higher than ready made commercial software.

And OSX has better performance and better latency times than
he classic MacOS (and any OS for that matter
- http://gigue.peabody.jhu.edu/~mdboom/latency-icmc2001.pdf) and
it looks like it's here to stay and classic will eventually
disapear so it's better to dive into it right away.

HTH

../MiS