Re: [microsound] Anolog help?

on 1/08/02 1:26 PM, Francis II at jane_bradley87@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was wondering if I can create ambient flowing sounds and drones using
> anolog equipment?, if so, how?
>

> Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Francis

   Well, if you have a small mixer with monitoring capabilities,there are

 ways to make an oscillator.

   You'll need a bag of assorted resistors like the kind one can find at

 Radio Shack and two connecting wires , probably with 'rca' ends  depending

 on the model of mixer. I have tried this with a spirit( soundcraft) folio

 notepad.

   Basically , you connect  a recording device to the main outputs and then,

 starting with all the levels turned completely down , connect the wires to

 the monitor output and an auxiliary return.

   The resistors have nice long pliable leads on them. You wrap these around

 the hot (positive) sends: either or both channels, on one side and hold

 onto the other side. Now, gently turn up the levels ( being careful not to

 damage the mixer). Remember , you need something monitoring the signal from

 the recording device in order to hear whats happening.

   You can try different values of resistors to produce tones and also ,

 since the body acts as a resistor,holding the leads different ways will

have an effect on the resulting sounds. The body also generates a current

 which can work either seperately or in conjunction with the hardware

 oscillator.

   One interesting thing about this method of producing sound is that , if

 you use the effects sends and returns ( with a reverb for example) the

 effecting device is in the middle of the oscillator. This enables you to

 create some highly complex and unusual sounds with alot of control over the

 parameters.

   There are ways to make filters also. Anything that removes part of the

 sound spectrum or attenuates it , or both will work ( small speakers and

 microphones; roomresonances) I haven't experimented too much with making

 filters, though.

   I hope this was some help.