Sound Design Rec.

I hope this is not too far off topic, but I am a young guy looking to get
started in sound design and I would like to know what skills are most
valuable in the field.

I have been working with audio software/hardware for quite a while now and
understand most of the principles involved with synthesis, mixing, etc.

My real question seems to be then: what is the best way to present this
knowledge in a form such that someone can get an idea of my abilities. I do
create music, but I was wondering if there are any other areas that I should
create examples for.

Once again, I apologize deeply if this is offtopic...but I figured that
there might be people on this list who have knowledge in this area.

Thanks you all.

--jt