re: [microsound] multi-channel audio/DVDs

> wow. that sounds quite impressive. out of curiousity, did you
> synthesize/construct the sounds, or did you mix recordings of actual
> machinery?

the ironwork was shut down in 1986 and the machines have never
been recorded. i know the space since the early 90s and my approach
was mainly like i imagined a sound designer for ie the car industry
would work ('how can i make the slam of this bmw door really sexy').
i spent a lot of time in this place, i knew that it once had a constant
noise level of appr. 90db there and the machines *never* stopped.
from the shape of their bodies i assumed that they didnt make actually
noise, i imagined more of a very warm static sound with a rich tonal
aspect. as source material i used a tiny snipped from the beach boys
'lets go away for awhile'.

to my big surprise some old guys who used to work there for long
decades told me later on that they more than recognize their former
accoustic environment. (this must be 'the ghost in the machine'!?).
 - stephan

   stephan mathieu
   www.bitsteam.de